Saturday, August 29, 2009

The True Role Of A Teacher


"Tell Me And I’ll Forget; Show Me And I May Remember;
Involve Me And I’ll Understand"

This quote by an author that has long forgotten me is to me the truest sense of any function I perform on or off the basketball court. Whether I'll be going over individual instruction or putting together a document for members of the team these words ring true. Reasons why I strive for this action are simple:

Personal Growth - If my coaching includes only one-way conversations then what am I really developing in my athletes? By instead including them in the process, asking questions instead of making demands and working towards their styles and preferences I now create a cause and make the lesson (post development, offensive adjustments, scouting reports, goal setting, etc.) functional for each individual.

Commitment - Ideas and processes compelling to others will most likely inspire them to do more for the cause. Developing, communicating and explaining a relatable lesson or vision creates a defining moment for players and ignites a commitment to excellence.

Foundation - Showing my own commitment to this process allows the team to see my true intentions and provided I prepare and teach them all important aspects of the game I set the guidelines for how they interact and perform. Now I don't demand expectations, but live them.

Influence - If I'm adaptive in my ways I can effectively reach all of my followers (players), regardless of any situation, circumstance or skill level. Again if I'm teaching (allowing them to understand and think through situations) they will be able to conquer and meet everyday occurrences and challenges.

Overall this is an easy process to overlook with amount of instruction and players in a program. Although there are basic teaching points you must demand as a coach don't forget to explain and think through the lesson with a player or fellow coach. Doing this not only allows for many advantages in a game atmosphere, but improves your teaching efficiency and builds relationships with athletes. An aspect I feel is being lost with the growing demands of collegiate basketball coaches.

Keep faith in what you believe in!

- Coach Rohr

No comments:

Post a Comment